Friday, July 23, 2010

EOC Week 2: What do you think of lawyers?

I personally think lawyers are great people especially when it comes to money. It’s definitely a money gamble and money hungry type of game. There are tons of cases and situations out there that many of us know of and there are tons of cases out there that could have a potential case with lots of money on the table. I think it’s great how lawyers make their money and how they can jump the price of a settlement amount from point a to point b and be able to pay off their home. It’s also crazy how lawyers sometimes don’t make any money for years and spend years on a case and have to live at bare minimum and be able to support themselves plus pay large fees to get info and invest into a case. Personally, I would never be a lawyer because it’s kind of a gamble. It’s one of those professions that I think isn’t stable if you end up not being a good lawyer. I know for a fact that there are good lawyers and there are bad lawyers. I had a lawyer once represent me in a car accident case that was valued at six thousand dollars. Another lawyer that estimated my settlement at fourteen thousand dollars. With the difference in amounts, I was thinking “is this a good lawyer or a bad lawyer.” I went ahead and paid out the retainer fees for the 14k lawyer and he took 45% of my settlement which I did not read in the fine print. I then went to a contract lawyer to see if I could somehow reverse that contract, but it was my responsibility to know what I was signing. So in my sense, there are definitely shady lawyers who don’t release all the info verbally or who don’t let you understand it. They sometimes take advantage of their clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment